I hear all kinds of things from my clients (of all ages) when it comes to going back to school. Some are excited, can’t wait, and love the change in routine, while others dread having to wake up early, getting back on a schedule, and doing homework. Back to school makes you realize how much the children in your life have grown over summer. Some have changed voices, facial hair, discovering who they are, and are even seeking me out for skin care advice now that puberty has come. Being an auntie and not having to deal with the stress of the going back to school changes, one thing I do know about is ways to relieve stress. Stress can have positive as well as negative influences. Whether you are a single parent, step-parent or married with a partner, everyone needs to know how to evaluate their stress levels and learn how to manage them for their well being. Take time out for a breather, some relaxation, and reduce those stress levels. Here are some ideas how to turn your stressful mind into a state of relaxation.
- Autogenic relaxation-you repeat words in your mind to help relax muscle tension
- Progressive muscle relaxation-slowly tensing and relaxing the muscle
- Visualization-go to your happy place – this could be a Caribbean island, boat in the middle of a calm lake, pampered at a spa, reading in a peaceful garden. You create your own happy place.
Other common relaxation techniques include:
- Tai Chi
- Listening to music
Benefits of Stress Reduction and Relaxation:
- Slowing your heart rate
- Lowering blood pressure
- Slowing your breathing rate
- Increasing blood flow to major muscles
- Reducing muscle tension and chronic pain
- Improving concentration
- Reducing anger and frustration
- Boosting confidence to handle problems